Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Small-Group Discussion

To prepare for the small group discussion I had to do things a little differently.  I read the questions before I read Beowulf so that way I knew what to look out for during my reading.  And when I found it I marked the page and made a mark in my book to show me where it was.  I had to explore the text more to come up with questions I had and try to know the text in case I did not get a question I wanted.  Witch ended up being a good thing because I ended up getting a question I did not have pages for, but since I knew the text and questions I was able to answer it.  Other than that I actually finished the story a few days before class.  I normally put it off as long as I can but not this time.

I learned from this experience that it is ok to join in the discussion.  I normally am fairly quite in discussions but I need to speak my mind more.  I have things to say I just never feel like speaking up.  Also Beowulf has a whole lot of filler in it.  The good parts of action seem to go by fast and we are left with a whole lot of filler.  I also learned that I should not put off my reading to the last minute because it causes way to much stress.  I for once finished this story a few days early and it was so much less stressful for me.  It also gave me time to revisit parts of the story.  I found this means of discussion to be better for me.  It forced me to be part of the discussion and give my point of view.  That is something that I would probably not have done without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment