Tuesday, September 13, 2011

God

The Flood story was a practically interesting one.  God played a complex role in it.  He both wiped out and saved humanity.  He was Vengeful and at the same time he wanted to save man.  Here are the three attributes that I saw that god had in "The Flood".

Vengeful
“I will destroy man, whom I have created, from the face of earth: both man and beast… for it repenteth me that I have made them.”  He wants to cleanse the earth from all life and start over.  He was disappointed in the way mankind has become.  We strayed away from the richest path and for that we must face the consequences. 
Also god said “The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and behold, I will destroy them with the earth.”  This is my favorite quote from god.    He is angry and vengeful to the point where he decides to kill everything. 

Powerful
In the story god had all power.  He had the power to flood the earth, and wipe away all the wicked it held.  “And God saw that the wickedness of men was great in the earth”.  He had the power to not let that go on for he could change it.  He then chose he man to protect the good, and then he wiped out all the evil with his all mighty power.

Compassionate
Then God has a more compassionate side.  He decided he does not want the world to completely end.  So he chooses the best man to start the world over.  Noah was chosen by god to be the one to save humanity.  “Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.”  Noah was a truly good man so god felt he was the best of mankind.

2 comments:

  1. Its kinda cool to see everyone's viewpoint on the God of the flood. Most agreed on God being powerful and compassionate. In my blog I gave my explanation on why he was "vengeful." It was not because he is an "angry" God, but because he is holy, and his holiness will not let sin go unpunished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is nothing here if not complex. I really like the systematic way you isolated specific qualities of the portrayal of God in this story and then found supporting evidence.

    Jake, great comment above. It really is interesting to see the different interpretations of these stories and to explore the space between them.

    ReplyDelete